martes, 21 de agosto de 2012

Lost Diary of Arthur Radley


I've found some sort of rustic diary, while I was investigating the Radley Place, some years after Arthur's death. In the following few lines, I'll put some entries about his life that I found interesting to analyse.

Day 100                             
They are outside, waiting I come out. I don't really understand why do they want me there, but I won't pass through that door. They are quite friendly, though. I've always liked children, but I have some problems in communicating with people. My dream is to go out and start playing with them, be their friends, but I really can't! I can't bear this situation any more! Before I die, I swear I'll be, at least once, with Scout, Jem and Dill.

Day 126
Today, I left some chewing gum in the knothole in the yard. I hope any of the little children grabs it and enjoys it. It was quite difficult to acquire it, but hopefully it makes someone happier. I really love watching how this kids amuse themselves, they are so funny. But I regret, every single day of my life, for choosing staying here inside, and not being out there, maybe playing or talking with them. I've heard them speaking about me, calling me 'Boo'; being afraid of me. I don't want to have that prejudgement of being a weird, scary person. I just want to be normal! 

Day 163                             
Apparently, the trial is beginning. Tom Robinson is being accused of raping the eldest daughter of Bob Ewell, Mayella. The town citizens are passing near the fence right now. Complete families, little girls, boys, old slow-walking men. Everyone is attending to see how the justice isn't for all. Here, in Maycomb County, black men are not considered people. They are just things, that do not have rights. I can't stand with those hyprocrite attitudes. Those racist fools shouldn't have the respect of anyone. Justice is a word that apparently they do not know. That's really bad, 'cause every single person should be treated with justice and equality.

Day 168
Finally, I could fullfill my dream: I saved Jem from that Bob Ewell man, and walked home with Scout. Her innocence, her face, her personality: I like Jean-Louise very much. The incident with that farmer was quite strange. I was resting in the chair, as usual, and suddenly I heard a scream: I knew in the same moment that it was Jem. I went to the forest next to the house and fighted with Ewell. When I could get rid of him, I saw Jem lying on the floor, with a broken arm. I grabbed him and ran to Atticus' house. Some seconds later, Scout entered. My dream was, little by little, being satisfied. Dr. Reynolds and Mr. Tate came to see the incident. But the best part of all, was when Scout let me pet Jem, and afterwards she lead me towards my house. It was fantastic, really amazing. I hope I can be with them in another situation, in which we could enjoy even more our meeting. It was the best day of my life: I thought I was a real hero, or at least that character was reflected in Jean-Louise's eyes.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario