sábado, 23 de junio de 2012

Dialect, identity, and power


I have already talked about Ebonics, almost being another language. But now, after I have answered some questions about three different texts written by African Americans, I can tell more about it. The texts chosen where Beloved, by Toni Morrison, Turn my swag on, by Soulja Boy and a Nobel Lecture by the first author I mentioned. What you could appreciate in there was Ebonics in plenitude. In the first one, she spoke with some rhymes and "slangs", something very common in this language. But, at least a fully educated person that usually speaks Ebonics, like Toni Morrison, can change her vocabulary depending on the situation. And that's what happened in the Nobel Lecture, as she spoke "common" English without any problem. Finally, in Soulja Boy's song, obviously he used rhymes, and as it's a rap song, he usually spoke about hating someone or threaten others. The vocabulary used in there was more complex for me to understand, as apart from putting words to find rhymes, he also used many slang.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario